Re: Lock Constrains about Fast Dispatch for Messenger

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Haomai Wang <haomaiwang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another question:
>
> we have "lossy", "server", "standy" and "resetcheck" as policy for
> Messenger, but in practice there exists some overlap semantics among
> these fields. For example, "server" and "standy" plays the same
> function in Simple and Async impl. It will let connection standby if
> losing connection. Maybe we can combine the two?

I think you're missing some uses of these. "Servers" will never
initiate a reconnect to the other endpoint, but they can go into
standby and queue up new messages for if a reconnect does happen.

> And "lossy" and "resetcheck" also seemed redundancy. If a connection
> is lossy, we will want to reset the connection state. "resetcheck" is
> mainly used when server accept  a connection and meets conflict, but
> PR(https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3070) remove this check, so it's
> really useless in current impl.

Not quite. The PR removes one of the resetcheck gates, but there are
two of them. :) If you look at the commit which added resetcheck
you'll see that it's about some peer connection races, but again lossy
is used in a lot of other places orthogonal to resetcheck.
-Greg