Re: FIXED: 11/5/2014 Weekly Ceph Performance Meeting IS ON!

Hi Mark,

I'm not available for today (Next week I'll finally have a microphone ;)

But Here my progress about client side performance

qemu scaling
------------

I'm finally able to scale inside 1 guest vm with iothreads + krbd + virtio disks
I can reach now 90000iops in 1 guest vm (30000 iops by iothread)

-object iothread,id=iothread0 -object iothread,id=iothread1 -object iothread,id=iothread2
-device virtio-blk-pci,....,iothread=iothread0 -drive file=/dev/rbd/test/test
-device virtio-blk-pci,....,iothread=iothread1 -drive file=/dev/rbd/test/test
-device virtio-blk-pci,....,iothread=iothread2 -drive file=/dev/rbd/test/test

Currently It's not possible to bind multiple iothread on 1 virtio disk,
but you can define multiple virtio disk with same rbd volume,
and do some multipathing inside the guest vm.

I think qemu plan to implement multiqueue + multi iothread for same disk next year

krbd vs lirbd cpu usage
Not to much progress,

but fio-librbd or qemu-librbd, I see around 3-4x more cpu usage with librbd.
That's really a bottleneck in qemu, I can't reach more than 25000iops with same iothread config.

I have some perf reports for analysis if someone would help.

Regards,

Alexandre