Re: Consul

Consul is an interesting thing.  It had crossed my mind as a service
monitoring/discovery thing for cases where:
 * We have services other than Ceph in the IO path (e.g. apache, samba, nfs)
 * The mons aren't happy (something to tell me which of my mons are up
even if there is no quorum)
 * There might be multiple Ceph clusters and you want one health state
reflecting both clusters

Most other monitoring tools (e.g. calamari) take the shortcut of
having a single central monitoring server -- something consul-esque
that is lighter-weight and more resilient could be a step forward for
cluster monitoring applications in more flexible and less enterprisey
environments.

The "whole separate service but it's lightweight so that's okay"
approach is embodied by Consul.  I think there is an alternative path
available that I think of as "we already have a consensus system,
let's make a way to plug monitoring applications on top of it" -- a
way to plug extra smarts into the mons could be interesting too.

John