Re: Consul

Hi,

On 05/11/2014 04:05, Hunter Nield wrote:
> I concur with Dan on Consul. It's a great tool.
>
> We use Consul in our Ceph environments but only as a layer above an
> installed Ceph installation. Health checks (for the mons/osds
> processes and ceph health) and service discovery (for the
> apps/services that run in Docker containers on top). We've started on
> an alerting tool if anyone has use for it -
> https://github.com/AcalephStorage/consul-alerts
>
> There is definitely some overlap on the cluster consensus side (Paxos
> vs Raft) and would be nice to reduce another moving part in our
> cluster but I would imagine the projects are too different internally
> to really combine the two of them.
>
> The one thing that we'd wished for in Ceph before Consul existed was
> an easily accessible distributed KV store. Ceph has parts of it but
> exposing something like that with an easy CLI/REST API might provide
> the primitives for building higher level functionality that Consul
> provides. More than likely a distraction though since Consul does such
> a good job now.

I guess using radosgw with the S3/Swift API is close enough in terms of what Consul needs to store key/values. But maybe I don't understand what you mean by "easily accessible distributed KV store" and wrongly assume radosgw is easy enough ;-)

> On a side note, I haven't spoken to Dan in a while but curious on his
> thoughts on the overlap on Consul in config management land. Service
> discovery, remote execution, etc have some overlap in Puppet, Chef,
> etc. Related to Ceph we're pondering it as alternative for deploying
> mons/osds (larger scale ceph-deploy perhaps)

Is there a framework for integration tests of some kind in Consul ? Although https://github.com/puppetlabs/beaker/ provides that for puppet, it is still rarely used and it is painful because even when used to develop a module, it is likely to break in unpredictable ways because module dependencies have no integration tests and suffer from frequent regressions. It would be great to see modern tools such as Consul encourage a more robust approach to integration tests with proper tooling from the start.

Cheers