Re: Ιnstrumenting RADOS with Zipkin + LTTng

Hi everyone,

I'm Andrew, a new Ceph intern, and I'll be working to get Marios'
Zipkin + LTTng repo into a merge-able state, as Sam asked about
(http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg20024.html).

I've exchanged email with Marios, and he is interested in
helping me with it in his spare time. One of the important
things he mentioned is that his blkin library only works
with LTTng 2.4. Other versions experience deadlocks, and
he'll work to resolve them in 2.5.

I'm still working on getting a ceph development environment
set up, so I haven't tested the tracepoints Marios added.
I have built an RPM spec file for blkin, tested it against
lttng-ust 2.3 and 2.4, and built (but not tested) Marios'
ceph branch.

Should I put effort into adding a "--with-blkin" or "--with-zipkin"
option to autoconf?

I've made a first attempt at dividing the changes into
logically grouped patches: common blkin infrastructure,
osd, and rados. Does that sound reasonable? Or should
I not bother separating osd and rados changes?

I saw a couple instances of extraneous whitespace/newlines
I'll clean up. What other issues should I look for?

After they're cleaned up, would it be best for me to submit these
patches to the list, or just point to a github repo?

Thanks,

Andrew Shewmaker