design a rados-based distributed kv store support scan op

Hi all,

We plan to develop a new distributed key-value storage engine, which
would based on rados and supoort range-scan operation. Besides, it'll
be open source.

We know rados is already a kv storage engine, and can do pretty well
if we use KeyValueStore.
However, it lacks the ability of scanning a key range, since keys are
hashed into pgs.

In our scenarios, scanning is a common need. We considered the way of
splitting our key space into fixed number of ranges, mapping each
range to a rados object, and then storing key/value pairs in rados
objects. However, there are two main disadvantages:
1. We can not adjust the number of ranges as the cluster scales.
2. For a good splitting, we must properly predict the distribution of
keys, or we'll encounter serious load-balance problem.

So we decide to develop a new service based on rados (we want to use
rados for unifying our storage infrastructure).

Before we start, we want to do some inquiries:
1. Is there already any similar system/module(scan-supported &&
rados-based) existed?
2. Except for the basic key-value functions, what features are you
most interested in?
3. Other suggestions?

Thanks!