From: ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Andreas Joachim Peters [Andreas.Joachim.Peters@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 September 2014 14:18
To: Janne Grunau; ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: v2 aligned buffer changes for erasure codes

Hi Janne,
=> (src/erasure-code/isa/README claims it needs 16*k byte aligned buffers

I should update the README since it is misleading ... it should say 8*k or 16*k byte aligned chunk size depending on the compiler/platform used, it is not the alignment of the allocated buffer addresses.The get_alignment in the plug-in function is used to compute the chunk size for the encoding (as I said not the start address alignment).

If you pass k buffers for decoding each buffer should be aligned at least to 16 or as you pointed out better 32 bytes.

For encoding there is normally a single buffer split 'virtually' into k pieces. To make all pieces starting at an aligned address one needs to align the chunk size to e.g. 16*k. For the best possible performance on all platforms we should change the get_alignment function in the ISA plug-in to return 32*k if there are no other objections ?!?!

Cheers Andreas.