ARM NEON optimisations for gf-complete/jerasure/ceph-erasure

Hi,

I've started writing ARM/AArch64 NEON optimizations for gf-complete.
http://git.jannau.net/gf-complete.git/log/?h=neon has proof of concept
AArch64 NEON optimisations for w8.

Implemented methods are so far the carry-less/polynomial multiplication
and the split table. The polynomial multiplication is reasonable fast
for region multiplications (~2000MB/s on an Apple A7 at 1.3GHz) since
NEON has a 8-bit to 16-bit SIMD polynomial multiplication.

The split table method is still faster though, 5700MB/s on the same CPU.
I'm actually surprised by that since it is faster (per cycle) than the
Core i7-3770 from gf-complete's manual (page 14). That suggests that
SSE3 code might not be optimal.

I'm currently working on integrating NEON into the build system and then
will extend the existing code to work on ARMv7-a too. Those two are
straight forward. There are a couple of other issues I would like to
discuss before I start to work on them.

The #if/#ifdefs in the source are starting to make the source hard to
read then more than one optimization is added. Separating arch specific
implementations from each other and from the generic implementation
works reasonable well for the multimedia related projects I have
experience with (libav/FFmpeg, x264). There would be arch specific init
functions which set the appropriate function pointers. The neon
optimisations would then live in w8_arm.c which would be only compiled
for arm. If someone has another idea how to avoid the #ifdefs I'm open
for that too.

I'm currently using the SSE/NOSSE region option which is bogus. I'm
wondering whether I should just rename that SIMD/NOSIMD (not really true
since the carry less operations for w64 and w128 only use the SIMD
instruction set but are single data). That would need to have backward
compatibility for SSE/NOSSE. The other option would be to add
NEON/NONEON flags.

I'm sure I find other issues to discuss when I start integrating the
NEON optimisations into jerasure and ceph.

thanks

Janne