Re: Ceph authentication/authorization paradignms

Hi Chris,

----- "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Matt:
>
> Thanks for the pointers.  I'm currently knee-deep in traditional
> Kerberos authentication code and trying to crack the FreeIPA PAM
> API.
>
> I'm a community-oriented developer.  Any deeper dive you can
> provide would be encouraging.  :)
>
> Chris -)-----

The two efforts I am aware of are rxgk (OpenAFS) and RPCSEC_GSSv3 (NFSv4).

The older of the two efforts I believe is rxgk, and had dual goals of addressing the AFS "cache poisoning" problem, and secondarily introducing support for separately managed (file) servers.  I believe RPCSEC_GSSv3 was initially conceived (by Nico Williams) as a means of addressing the NFSv4 equivalent of the cache poisoning problem, but the current work on it (by Andy Adamson) is as a dependency of NFSv4.2 server-side copy.  (Apologies to the participants if I am mis-reporting any of the history.)

The IETF discussion of these efforts is on Kitten and NFSv4.  There's interesting recent discussion on the Kitten WG alias.

Pointers:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wilkinson-afs3-rxgk-afs-06.txt
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcsec-gssv3

--