Re: watch/notify changes

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sam and Josh and I discussed the state of watch/notify a couple weeks
> back.  Here are our notes:
>
>         http://pad.ceph.com/p/watch-notify
>
> I've mapped most of these to tickets or bugs and noted them in the pad.
>
> Ignore the fact that these are in the v0.86 sprint currently; it's just
> easier to enter them that way.
>
> If there are other issues we're missing here, let's address them now.  The
> API changes so far can be seen at
>
>         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/7ba30230505c6eede06cb2e2cb64210fdd4025a8
>         https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/d179dd970e52db8b0c07b20f69c9e3be6bc43f09

There's a case where the notifier is also the sole watcher. In that
case, currently, we'll send a notification to the notifier. Don't see
whether it's going to change, but we may want to add an optional
optimization where the osd doesn't send anything and acks the notify
immediately. This could have significant performance improvement in a
single rgw installation with certain operations (bucket creation,
metadata modifications).

Yehuda