Re: RGW Swift questions

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Luis Pabón <lpabon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Yehuda,
>     I am starting work on RGW and have a few questions:
>
> * Why is the command 'user create' when I am sending '--subuser'. Seems
> confusing.  Is there a reason why we are not to use 'subuser create'?

A subuser needs to have the containing user in order to be created.
The 'user create' command generates ones. The order of things would be
to create a user, then create a subuser for that user. By specifying
--subuser=.. on the user creation it should do both.

> * If I use "user create --subuser", the JSON returned shows the entry for
> "subusers" is empty.  What is subusers for? (This is related to the previous
> question)

So I assume the subuser wasn't created?
The rgw user model follows the S3 user model which is a bit different
from the swift one. In S3 there's basically a single tenant, multiple
users. With swift there are multiple tenants (originally referred to
as 'accounts'), each have different users that share a similar view of
the system (e.g., share list of containers, etc.). The more natural
(although not perfect) mapping is by having an rgw user map to a swift
account. That's why we needed to add a second level of identification,
the subuser.

> * Where do I place the OpenStack Tenant information?
The tenant id should be the user name.

> * Is there a document which describes how to setup RGW for OpenStack Swift?

Not that I'm aware of. Basically rgw is set to work with both S3 and
Swift out of the box. Here's how to integrate with keystone:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/keystone/

> * The radosgw-admin help screen does not explain which options to use for
> certain commands.  Is this something that we should fix?

We should certainly improve documentation. This can either go into the
man page, or a complete rework of the usage help.

> * On page: http://ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/swift/auth/ , clicking on
> "see radosgw-admin" does not work.

I opened issue #9116.

Thanks,