Re: RadosGW storage format

Hi,

> I don't think there's one document that describes everything.
> Definitely not one that is up to date. It would really be great to
> have something like that. Some of the stuff was described in messages
> to the mailing list when it was conceived, but things have since might
> have gone major revisions and changes.
> As a starting point, I can provide a few pointers.

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation !

Another question though : How are object listed ? It is just the
.dir.xxx objects that "represent" the bucket by itself ?

>  - what rados features are used
>
> This is a very general question and it is hard to answer. Can you be
> more specific?

Like: Does it only use rados object and their content, or does it also
use the xattr on them, or what about the omap key/val ?

I'm looking into doing a couple of maintenance tools for it like a
fsck that checks different things, or also a tool that allows me to
move a bucket(s) from one pool to another, or merge two pools.

Due to some "bad" decisions in the beginning, we ended up with too
many pools (and so too much PGs, causing stress on the OSD) and I'd
like the option to merge them at some point without having to go
through the S3 interface (it would double the network xfer required
and also modify the mtime of all the objects which I'm hoping I can
keep intact with direct rados ops).

But to do all of this, I need to know exactly what needs copying :p

Cheers,

   Sylvain