Re: Ceph kRBD stuck after disk crash

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Thorwald Lundqvist
<thorwald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've just experienced a disk crash in my ceph cluster. This seems to
> have caused an error in the kernel since every I/O command sent to any
> mapped RBD is defered indefinitely, even an hour later, the OSD is
> already taken out of the cluster and ceph -s says HEALTH_OK.
>
> A kernel dump is provided at this pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/WMqmiUsM
>
> What did I do prior the crash?
>
> I mapped one clean rbd device at /dev/rbd0 and one rbd device that had
> a partition and ext4 filesystem at 20GB each
>
> I started to dd rbd1 to rbd0 (dd if=/dev/rbd1 of=/dev/rbd0 bs=4M) It
> copied a few GB, then deep-scrub started and at that moment one of the
> disks failed. and dd got stuck (disk defered). And it still is.
>
> I think that only a reboot of the server can fix this problem now.
>
> This is not normal behavior when a disk crashes, right?

No, it's not ;)  Technically this is not a crash though, it's more of
a deadlock - one process ended up blocking forever while holding
a crucial lock.  See http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/8818.

The fix is going to be in 3.17-rc1 so it should catch the last 3.15
stable update.

Thanks,

                Ilya