Re: Q&A Session for ReplicatedPG.cc

I had a little more free time while debugging and testing some monitor
stuff today and went through part of these on the gist. I've run out
of time to keep going and it started looking less and less like the
right way to tackle the knowledge transfer, so some generic advice:
* Try not to focus on the line-by-line questions for systems which you
don't have any background in. There are a lot of questions which are
all about how eviction works, and I think you just want to get an
overview of that system before trying to figure out the details of
blocking on eviction.
* Be a little braver about going out to look at other functions. Some
of them are huge and won't go anywhere, but you had several notes
asking what functions do which were only one level deep, or even had
documentation attached to them! can_skip_promote(), for instance, is
just 10 lines long (commented!) and looks at the contents of the Op in
case it doesn't need the actual data. promote_object() kicks off a
whole series of events, but it's fairly straightforward to scroll down
the functions and see how the callbacks they put in place string them
together to actually gather up data from the base pool and bring it in
to the cache pool.
* Try using Eclipse or another IDE. I know it's wussy, but trust me,
it will make following logic chains through this code base a lot
easier.
-Greg