Re: Ceph on Fedora

[adding ceph-devel]

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Federico Simoncelli wrote:
> New version of the patch:
>
>  http://github.com/simon3z/ceph/commit/ef42184
>
> sadly not fully addressing the cluster problem (it is now configurable
> but it is unique). It is clear that systemd doesn't support multiple
> instance identifiers %i (we could have used one for the mon/osd/mds id
> and one for the cluster) and it doesn't support parsing the single %i
> (to be split in two).

That is unfortunate, but so it goes.  Any idea if this is something
that systemd may get later?

> Instances are not even that common in systemd, I think the way fedora would
> integrate ceph is using the /etc/sysconfig/ceph file to configure the ids:
>
> CLUSTER="ceph"
> MON_ID="ceph-node01"
> OSD_ID="0"
> MDS_ID="ceph-node01"
>
> and then just run:
>
>  # systemctl start ceph-mon ceph-osd ceph-mds
>
> So I have the feeling that we're already giving an extra degree of freedom
> by using instances to run multiple mon/osd/mds (even though I am not sure
> how much that's useful if they have to be part of the same cluster).
>
> Actually, do you feel that having multiple mon/osd/mds is useless if they
> have to be of the same cluster? I am talking about the regular deployments,
> not testing/developing.

Having multiple instances of daemons is definitely required.  The vast
majority of deployments have many OSDs per node.  It's less common for the
mon and mds daemons, but I think it is simplest to make them match.

That being the case, I think your original suggestion of having the
cluster specified somewhere in /etc/ceph or /etc/sysconfig/ceph is the
right interim solution.

Is there a way to set up meta-jobs that capture all instances of each
daemon type, or all ceph daemons?

Thanks!
sage