Re: Feedback: default FS pools and newfs behavior

On 05/21/2014 05:32 PM, John Spray wrote:
explicitly disable CephFS, so that the (often unused) filesystem pools
don't hang around if they're unwanted.

The administrative behavior would change such that:
  * To enable the filesystem it is necessary to create two pools and
use "ceph newfs <metadata> <data>"
  * There's a new "ceph rmfs" command to disable the filesystem and
allow removing its pools
  * Initially, the filesystem is disabled and the 'data' and 'metadata'
pools are not created by default

There's an initial cut of this on a branch:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commits/wip-nullfs

Questions:
  * Are there strong opinions about whether the CephFS pools should
exist by default?  I think it makes life simpler if they don't,
avoiding "what the heck is the 'data' pool?" type questions from
newcomers.

+1

We simpler the clusters are, the better imho. A lot of users don't require CephFS, so don't enable what ain't used.

  * Is it too unfriendly to require users to explicitly create pools
before running newfs, or do we need to auto-create pools when they run
newfs?  Auto-creating some pools from newfs is a bit awkward
internally because it requires modifying both OSD and MDS maps in one
command.

Cheers,
John

1. http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/8010