De: "Sage Weil" <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx>
À: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Envoyé: Mercredi 30 Avril 2014 14:18:48
Objet: Red Hat to acquire Inktank

Today we are announcing some very big news: Red Hat is acquiring Inktank.
We are very excited about what this means for Ceph, the community, the
team, our partners, and our customers. Ceph has come a long way in the ten
years since the first line of code has been written, particularly over the
last two years that Inktank has been focused on its development. The fifty
members of the Inktank team, our partners, and the hundreds of other
contributors have done amazing work in bringing us to where we are today.

We believe that, as part of Red Hat, the Inktank team will be able to
build a better quality Ceph storage platform that will benefit the entire
ecosystem. Red Hat brings a broad base of expertise in building and
delivering hardened software stacks as well as a wealth of resources that
will help Ceph become the transformative and ubiquitous storage platform
that we always believed it could be.

For existing Inktank customers, this is going to mean turning a reliable
and robust storage system into something that delivers even more value. In
particular, joining forces with the Red Hat team will improve our ability
to address problems at all layers of the storage stack, including in the
kernel. We naturally recognize that many customers and users have built
platforms based on other Linux distributions. We will continue to support
these installations while we determine how to provide the best customer
experience moving forward and how the next iteration of the enterprise
Ceph product will be structured. In the meantime, our team remains
committed to keeping Ceph an open, multiplatform project that works in any
environment where it makes sense, including other Linux distributions and
non-Linux operating systems.

Red Hat is one of only a handful of companies that I trust to steward the
Ceph project. When we started Inktank two years ago, our goal was to build
the business by making Ceph successful as a broad-based, collaborative
open source project with a vibrant user, developer, and commercial
community. Red Hat shares this vision. They are passionate about open
source, and have demonstrated that they are strong and fair stewards with
other critical projects (like KVM). Red Hat intends to administer the Ceph
trademark in a manner that protects the ecosystem as a whole and creates a
level playing field where everyone is held to the same standards of use.
Similarly, policies like "upstream first" ensure that bug fixes and
improvements that go into Ceph-derived products are always shared with the
community to streamline development and benefit all members of the
ecosystem.

One important change that will take place involves Inktank's product
strategy, in which some add-on software we have developed is proprietary.
In contrast, Red Hat favors a pure open source model. That means that
Calamari, the monitoring and diagnostics tool that Inktank has developed
as part of the Inktank Ceph Enterprise product, will soon be open sourced.

This is a big step forward for the Ceph community. Very little will change
on day one as it will take some time to integrate the Inktank business and
for any significant changes to happen with our engineering activities.
However, we are very excited about what is coming next for Ceph and are
looking forward to this new chapter.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped Ceph get to where we are today:
the amazing research group at UCSC where it began, DreamHost for
supporting us for so many years, the incredible Inktank team, and the many
contributors and users that have helped shape the system. We continue to
believe that robust, scalable, and completely open storage platforms like
Ceph will transform a storage industry that is still dominated by
proprietary systems. Let's make it happen!

sage