Erasure Code Alpha Testing

Hi Ceph,

The code implementing Erasure Code in Ceph has been merged in Firefly[1] and is being tested. The unit tests are run at compile time with make check. The integration tests are run by teuthology [2], the Q&A tool dedicated to Ceph. A few workloads have been added for erasure code [3] and their success/failure can be observed daily from the pulpito [4] dashboard [5].

Seven organizations volunteered to alpha test erasure code a few months ago and were encouraged to run teuthology locally. Combined with manual testing, teuthology is a convenient way to encode a use case and explain the steps to reproduce a problem. I will make myself available to help install teuthlology. If you want to participate, feel free to send me an email or ping me on irc.oftc.net#ceph-devel nick loicd

There are many ways to contribute to stabilize erasure code before Firefly is released:

* Run the rados [6] teuthlogy [2] Q&A suite [7] locally

* Try manually after compiling Firefly [1] from sources [8]

  rm -fr dev out ;  mkdir -p dev ; LC_ALL=C MON=1 OSD=10 bash -x ./vstart.sh -d -n -X -l mon osd
  ./ceph osd crush rule create-erasure ecruleset erasure-code-k=2 erasure-code-m=1 erasure-code-ruleset-failure-domain=osd
  ./ceph osd pool create ecpool 12 12 erasure crush_ruleset=ecruleset erasure-code-k=2 erasure-code-m=1

  the pool ecpool is erasure coded and ready to be used manually.

* Diagnose problems found by the daily teuthology runs from Intank [2]

* Proofread the Firefly code [1]

* Report bugs [9]

* Fix unassigned erasure code bugs from the queue [10] and send a pull request [11]

Cheers

[1] Firefly branch https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/firefly
[2] Teuthology Q&A tool https://github.com/ceph/teuthology/
[3] ec-* workloads https://github.com/ceph/ceph-qa-suite/tree/master/suites/rados/thrash/workloads