State of the erasure code pyramid plugin

Hi,

Your last comment made me realize I took an approach that is more complex than needed (the decode_chunks / encode_chunks methods are not necessary), which results in something that is also sub-optimal (it decodes too much and has no way to limit decoding to what is strictly necessary although this is precisely the point of the pyramid plugin). I see how to resolve it (rewrite recursion in terms of the encode()/decode() API instead of the encode_chunks()/decode_chunks() API and I'm half way thru). But since the feature freeze is Friday and given than it's not the only topic I care about, it is probably better to postpone.

I'm quite happy that we now have a sound implementation plan. Even more that the current API is good enough. What remains to be done is:

* Rewrite of https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/1142 with encode()/decode()
* Complete the XOR plugin https://github.com/apeters1971/ceph/tree/wip-xor
* Implement a way ( moving the primary in the same datacenter as a failing OSD ? ) for pools to take advantage of the provided locality

I reorganized the tasks under http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/7266 to keep track of this.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre