Re: [RFC] Ceph encryption support

Li Wang wrote:

> Hi,
>    We want to implement encryption support for Ceph.
>    Currently, we have the draft design,
>
> 1 When user mount a ceph directory for the first time, he can specify a
> passphrase and the encryption algorithm and length of key etc. These
> will be stored as extend attribute of the current root directory, of
> course, with the passphrase being hashed several times, call it TOKEN.
> 2 When user try to mount an encrypted directory, a passphrase is
> required to given, then hash and compare with the stored TOKEN, if
> equal, accept to mount, otherwise reject to mount.
> 3 When a file is created, a random key (FEK, file encryption key) is
> generated, and this key is encrypted by TOKEN, we get EFEK (encrypted
> FEK), the EFEK and other encryption related information inherited from
> the root directory are stored in the extend attribute of file.
> 4 When a file is opened, retrieve the extend attribute, we get EFEK,
> use TOKEN to decrypt EFEK, get FEK, buffered in the inode
> 5 When a file is read in readpage()/readpages(), the encrypted pages are
> decrypted transparently by using FEK, and the plain data are sent to
> application
> 6 When a file is written in writepage()/writepages(), the pages are
> encrypted transparently by using FEK, and then written to OSDs.

Okay, this is sounding quite similar to eCryptfs so far. What that makes me
wonder is whether eCryptfs can be used, as it's a _stacked_ filesystem.

> Some points,
> 1 We do client side encryption, the advantages are,
>    (1) The data over network are encrypted;
>    (2) OSDs are intended to do io intensive job, we donot wanna bother
> them to do cpu intensive job, thus we can use cheap and low power machines
>    (3) The implementation is OSD transparent, and mostly MDS
> transparent, enjoys the simplification.

This, however, is potentially problematic. At-rest encryption of files and
encryption of moving data on the wire are different problems, and using one
to try and address the other can lead to significant issues - in particular,
this is why it is STRONGLY recommended not to rely on dm-crypt for security
on network block devices like iSCSI without encrypting the transport using
ipsec or similar.

> 2 What about if no page cache?
>    Block cipher algorithm is more secure than stream cipher algorithm,
> so we prefer the former. If no page cache, we have two choices, with
> encryption enabled, the same file is not allowed by opened by the second
> writer, alternatively, we enforce O_LAZYIO on the file, but application
> is supposed to be aware of this.

"Block cipher algorithm is more secure than stream cipher algorithm" cannot
be taken as axiomatic. It being stated as such is something I find
worrisome.

In particular, using AES in CTR mode (in which case it is essentially a
random-access stream cipher) is in a number circumstances considerably more
secure than AES in CBC mode. The stream ciphers Salsa20 and ChaCha are
believed to be strong as well. Weaknesses in RC4 aren't due to being a
stream cipher, but rather due to improper use (as in WEP, where the IVs were
handled improperly) or flaws in the specific cipher.

How are you intending to handle integrity? Do you intend to use a MAC (and
if so, PLEASE review the literature on mac-and-encrypt vs. mac-then-encrypt
vs. encrypt-then-mac), or do you plan on using an AEAD cipher mode such as
GCM (like eCryptfs does)? If your cipher mode uses IVs, how do you intend to
generate them?

All of these have SIGNIFICANT security impact, and could lead to problems if
left unaddressed or addressed improperly.