Re: HSM

Sorry for a maybe dumm idea,
but since this seems to be the beginnig of the discussion
about integrating HSM Systems it might still be the right place for it.

Integrating an HSM is surely interesting but the prize of a commercial
System (like SAMFS) exceeds the capacity of a wide range of customers,
maybe the GRAU - HSM is meanwhile available as a potential affordable solution
but still it needs it's own maintenance.

If you are working on integrating a policy management and a copytool,
(not ME, I'm op not dev ;-) why not take a look at LTFS which comes
for free since LTO5 (at least the single drive version is free AFAIK).
It offers a filesystem structure that can be written/read directly to/from
tape without any further software than the kernel module.

I tend to believe that it can't be such a big extra effort to not just through
the files into an existing HSM for archiving
but feed them to LTFS formated tapes
that reside in an autochanger.

That would decrease archiving costs for small business by ... A LOT?

Might that b worth a thought?

best regards

Bernhard