libuuid vs boost uuid

Just out of curiosity (recent thread about windows port) I just had a quick go at compiling librados under mingw (win32 cross compile), and one of the errors that popped up was the lack of libuuid under mingw. Ceph appears to use libuuid, but I notice boost appears to include a uuid class too, and it seems that ceph already uses some of boost (which already builds under mingw).

Is there anything special about libuuid that would mean boost's uuid class couldn't replace it? And would it be better to still use ceph's uuid.h as a wrapper around the boost uuid class, or to modify ceph to use the boost uuid class directly?

Thanks

James