PowerDNS backend for Rados Gateway to direct bucket traffic

Hi,

I'm playing with an idea, but I'm not sure if I'm taking the correct route.

When you create a bucket with Amazon S3 it's always reachable via bucketname.s3.amazonaws.com.

Depending on the region you created it in you'll get a different response from their DNS servers directing you to the correct HTTP endpoint.

When you use the RGW with multiple regions you get a 301 redirect from a region if the bucket is not located there.

This 301 is extra TCP traffic and adds extra latency. You could potentially have a developer who is mistaken and directs thousands of requests to the wrong region which are all answered with 301 redirects. A waste of resources.

I've worked with PowerDNS a lot and it supports various backends and one of them is the Pipe or HTTP (new!) backend [0]

It would be rather cool if you could have a global domainname like "s3.amazonaws.com", but behind it you have multiple regions, but based on the DNS request you do PowerDNS responds with a different CNAME.

global: o.myobject.store
EU:     eu.myobject.store
US:     us.myobject.store

Based on where the bucket is PowerDNS will respond with:

CNAME bucket.eu.myobject.store
or
CNAME bucket.us.myobject.store

Does it sound reasonable what I'm thinking of or am I completely wrong about this?

[0]: http://doc.powerdns.com/html/remotebackend.html

--
Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.