RE: CEPH Erasure Encoding + OSD Scalability

Yes, sure. I actually thought the same in the meanwhile ...  I have some questions:

Q: Can/should it stay in the framework of google test's or you would prefer just a plain executable ?

I have added local parity support to your erasure class adding a new argument: "erasure-code-lp" and
two new methods:

localparity_encode(...)
localparity_decode(...)

I made a more complex benchmark of (8,2) + 2 local parities (1^2^3^4, 5^6^7^8) which benchmarks performance of encoding/decoding as speed & effective write-latency for three cases (each for liberation & cauchy_good codecs):

1 (8,2)
2 (8,2,lp=2)
3 (8,2,lp=2) + crc32c (blocks)

and several failure scenarios ... single, double, triple disk failures. Probably the best is if I make all this parameters configurable.

Q: For the local parity implementation .... shall I inherit from your erasure plugin and overwrite the encode/decode method or you would consider a patch to the original class?

I have also a 128-bit XOR implementation for the local parities. This will work with new gcc's & clang compilers ...

Q: Which compilers/platforms are supported by CEPH? Is there a minimal GCC version?

Q: is there some policy restricting comments within code? In general I see very few or no comments within the code ..

Cheers Andreas.