Re: Ceph users meetup

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Joao Eduardo Luis
<joao.luis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/25/2013 03:08 PM, Dan van der Ster wrote:
>>
>> I'd probably be interested, but naive question.. how would this be
>> different from the Ceph Days?
>

> As I see it, a meetup could potentially happen more often, and have a rather
> more informal approach and a more flexible schedule (or lack of).

Yeah, Ceph days are a very structured full day event being put on by
Inktank to educate new users about real world usage of Ceph, showcase
the new things in Ceph that we feel are important, and give our
partners the opportunity to do the same.

A meetup would be a much more informal, and probably shorter,
gathering of Ceph enthusiasts and curious visitors that might feature
one speaker and some time for an open forum.

> Considering the distribution of interested parties, we could also strive for
> lower numbers and holding it in different locations to accommodate those who
> cannot easily travel abroad -- I can see how a company would be reluctant in
> supporting travel expenses for a meetup, for instance.
>
> I've talked with Loic about this and I strongly believe it would be great to
> get going.

Definitely!  While Inktank specifically wouldn't be able to fly to
every event (that's not the point) I know we would be happy to help
facilitate and even attend a few to help get the ball rolling in
Europe.  We could help with swag (as it makes sense), logistics
planning, and helping to find nearby people interested in speaking.

Of course for any location we would need someone there in meatspace to
run the event.  Anyone that is interested in hosting an event (one-off
or recurring) in their neighborhood please let me know and we can
start working on mapping a few out.

If anyone has questions, comments, or anything for the good of the
cause feel free to hit me up here or on irc (scuttlemonkey).  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Patrick