Re: Object Write Latency

On 09/20/2013 07:27 AM, Andreas Joachim Peters wrote:
Hi,

Hi Andreas!

we made some benchmarks about object read/write latencies on the CERN ceph installation.

The cluster has 44 nodes and ~1k disks, all on 10GE and the pool configuration has 3 copies.
Client & Server is 0.67.

The latencies we observe (using tiny objects ... 5 bytes) on the idle pool:

write full object(sync) ~65-80ms
append to object ~60-75ms
set xattr object ~65-80ms
lock object ~65-80ms
stat object ~1ms

We seem to saturate the pools writing ~ 20k objects/s (= internally 60k/s).

Out of curiosity, how much difference do you see with write latencies if you do the same thing to a pool with 1 copy?

Is there an easy explanation for 80 ms (quasi without payload) and a possible tuning to reduce that?
I measured (append few bytes +fsync) on such a disk around 33ms which explains probably part of the latency.

I've been wanting to really dig into object write latency in RADOS but just haven't had the time to devote to it yet. I've been doing some simple rados bench tests to a 8-SSD test node and am topping out at about 8-9K write IOPS and 26K read IOPS (no replication) though with little tuning. I suspect there are many areas in the code where we could improve things.

Then I tried with the async API to see if there is a difference in the measurement between wait_for_complete or wait_for_safe ... shouldn't wait_for_complete be much shorter, but I get always comparable results ...

Hrm, I'm going to let Sage or someone else comment on this.

Thanks, Andreas.--