Re: [ceph-users] CephFS test-case

[re-adding ceph-devel]

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013, Nigel Williams wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It sounds like the problem is cluster B's pools have too few PGs, making
> > the data distribution get all out of whack.
>
> Agree, it was too few PGs, I have no re-adjusted and it is busy
> backfilling and evening out the data-distribution across the OSDs.
>
> My overall point is that the out-of-the-box defaults don't provide a
> stable test-deployment (whereas older versions like 0.61 did), and so
> minimally perhaps ceph-deploy needs to have a stab at choosing a
> workable value of PGs? or alternatively the health warning could
> include a note about PGs being too low.

I agree; this is a general problem that we need to come up with a better
solution to.

One idea:

- make ceph health warn when the pg distribution looks "bad"
	- too few pgs relative the # of osds
	- too many objects in a pool relative to the # of pgs and the
	  above

(We'll need to be a little creative to make thresholds that make sense.)

If we have an interactive ceph-deploy new, we can also estimate how big
the cluster will get and make a more sensible starting count.  I like that
less, though, as it potentially confusing and has more room for user
error.

sage