libvirt: Removing RBD volumes with snapshots, auto purge or not?

Hi,

The current [0] libvirt storage pool code simply calls "rbd_remove" without anything else.

As far as I know rbd_remove will fail if the image still has snapshots, you have to remove those snapshots first before you can remove the image.

The problem is that libvirt's storage pools do not support listing snapshots, so we can't integrate that.

Libvirt however has a flag you can pass down to tell you want the device to be zeroed.

The normal procedure is that the device is filled with zeros before actually removing it.

I was thinking about "abusing" this flag to use it as a snap purge for RBD.

So a regular volume removal will call only rbd_remove, but when the flag VIR_STORAGE_VOL_DELETE_ZEROED is passed it will purge all snapshots prior to calling rbd_remove.

Another way would be to always purge snapshots, but I'm afraid that could make somebody very unhappy at some point.

Currently "virsh" doesn't support flags, but that could be fixed in a different patch.

Does my idea sound sane?

[0]: http://libvirt.org/git/?p=libvirt.git;a=blob;f=src/storage/storage_backend_rbd.c;h=e3340f63f412c22d025f615beb7cfed25f00107b;hb=master#l407

--
Wido den Hollander