Re: Could we introduce launchpad/gerrit for ceph

> Hi,
> ??Now it?s a bit hard for us to track the bugs, review the submits, and
> track the blueprints. We do have a bug tracking system, but most of the
> time it doesn?t connect with a github submit link. We have email review
> , pull requests, and also some internal mechanism inside inktank , we do
> need a single entrance for doing a submission. We have wiki to track
> blueprints, but it?s really confusing if you want to know the status of
> a BP, and also ,the discussion around that BP. Basically I think
> Openstack did a good job to track all these things, I do really suggest
> Ceph could also introduce Launchpad for this.

We had a discussion during CDS about this.  The general output of that
seems to be:

- gerrit workflow has a lot of good things
- gerrit treatment of individual commits vs branches is very unpleasant
- jenkins + gerrit integration is good
- we want build + smoke tests to run automatically prior to merge

- github pull requests are a decent alternative to gerrit if we
  - have build and smoke test output added as comments on teh request
    via the github apis
  - have jenkins running tests on pull requests via the plugin api

The bug tracker vs blueprint discussion also came up.  We are strongly
considering a switch to jira (+ greenhopper etc) which has an integrated
blueprint function and much better scrum stuff.

I haven't used launchpad much.  Is that a viable alternative?

sage