Re: [ceph-users] ceph-deploy progress and CDS session

Hi,

First I would like to state that with all its limitiation, I have managed to build multiple clusters with ceph-deploy and without it, I would have been totally lost. Things
that I feel would improve it include:

A debug mode where it lists everything it is doing. This will be helpful in the future when I move to a more integrated tool then ceph-deploy, as I could see exactly
how ceph-deploy built my test cluster.

To understand more types of linux storage devices. I have spent hours trying to make it understand multipath devices, as I happen to have a large number of these in my lab,
but so far I have not made it work.

Really good documentation on all the ceph-deploy options.

Lastly, this is not just a ceph-deploy thing, but documentation explaining how things boot up, and interact. Ceph-deploy depends on tools like ceph-disk to mount OSD disks on the servers during boot, and I learned the hard way that if a OSD is on a LUN that is seen by more then one OSD node, you can corrupt data, as each OSD node
tries to mount all the ODS it can find.

There is a session at CDS scheduled to discuss ceph-deploy (4:40pm PDT
on
Monday).  We'll be going over what we currently have in backlog for
improvements, but if you have any opinions about what else ceph-deploy
should or should not do or areas where it is problematic, please reply
this thread to let us know what you think, and/or join the CDS
discussion
hangout.

Thank
Eric