Re: Blueprint: Add LevelDB support to ceph cluster backend store

I posted this as a comment on the blueprint, but I figured I'd say it here:

The thing I'd worry about here is that LevelDB's performance (along with
that of various other K/V stores) falls off a cliff for large values.

Symas (who make LMDB, used by OpenLDAP) did some benchmarking that shows
drastic performance loss with 100KB values on both read and write:
http://symas.com/mdb/microbench/#sec4

It's not just disk latency, either - an SSD showed the same behavior:
http://symas.com/mdb/microbench/#sec7

I'd recommend REALLY careful benchmarking with a variety of loads (and value
sizes).