Re: blueprint: ceph platform portability

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013, Li Wang wrote:
> Personally, I think it may be more important to improve portability of Ceph at
> the architecture level. For example, the coming ARM64 support,
> ARM has proven its name for its low power etc, it shoule be extremely suitable
> for running IO extensive application like Ceph.
>
> Does Inktank or any other party have plan on that? We would be very
> interesting in that, and pleasure to contribute.

We do!  We are working closely with Calxeda to fully support their current
generation of ARM processors, and Ceph+ARM solutions are already available
in the marketplace.  Once the 64-bit processors are available we will be
testing on those as well.

At this point, most of the portability work is complete.  There are still
opportunities for ARM-specific optimization (e.g., optimizing crc32c), but
moving forward I think most of the focus will be on generic optimization:
reducing CPU utilization to support both high-IOPS workloads and low power
processors.

This would be another good topic to discuss at CDS!

sage