Re: a few rados blueprints

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've added a blueprint for avoiding double-writes when using btrfs:
>
>         http://wiki.ceph.com/01Planning/02Blueprints/Emperor/osd:_clone_from_journal_on_btrfs
>
> This should improve throughput significantly when the journal is a file in
> btrfs.
>
> ---
>
> Also, there's one for improving the localized read behavior:
>
>         http://wiki.ceph.com/01Planning/02Blueprints/Emperor/librados%2F%2Fobjecter%3A_smarter_localized_reads
>
> For example, for read-only parents of rbd clones, we may as well read from
> the replica in the same host or rack or row--whatever crush can tell
> us--and not the primary.  This is good for locality and load distribution
> when certain object sets are hot.

This blueprint includes work items to set locality information in
libcephfs and via the Hadoop bindings. However, there's still a read
hole issue with read-from-replicas [1] that makes this generally
unwise. Did you consider that when writing this blueprint?
In particular I think we want to discuss if we allow people to use a
more powerful read-from-replica unless we can guarantee their usage of
it is safe (ie, snapshots).
-Greg
[1]: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/5388