Re: Erasure coding implementation : high level description

Hi Sage,

The level of understanding of ReplicatedPG/PG/OSD required to sketch the path for implementing the erasure coding is beyond me at the moment. A few hours of browsing demonstrated that a number of important areas are still unknown to me. A meaningfull example is probably the logic associated with

struct AccessMode {

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/962b64a83037ff79855c5261325de0cd1541f582/src/osd/ReplicatedPG.h#L114

I suspect there are a number of similarities with the erasure code that would be relevant to ensure that a stripe is fully written to disk ( i.e. in relation with the "ondisk" acknowledgment probably ) before removing the previous version of the same stripe from all OSDs supporting it.

The time spent during this exploration was not wasted, I learnt a few things that will be useful :-) But I think it would be more useful for me to work on a more modest task to move in the direction of the erasure coding implementation.

Cheers

--
Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do nothing.