simple key management for dm-crypt

A set of simple dm-crypt hooks were included in cuttlefish that allow you
to easily use dm-crypt beneath the disks consumed by ceph-osd.  The
current solution is pretty limited in that the dm-crypt keys are just
stored in /etc/ceph.  They don't help if a machine is stolen, but they do
allow you to throw away data disks without worrying about data being
compromised.

The monitor has a simple key/value storage service that we can use to
store the dm-crypt keys.  Having them stored by a simple keyserver (the
mon) means the boot disk can be discard along with the data disks,
provided an attacker doesn't have access to the network before the keys
are revoked.  The challenge is deciding how to manage them all.

There are at least two keys:

 1) $osd_data/keyring has the cephx key that ceph-osd uses to authenticate
    and join the cluster.  It's normally stored in the data dir, and would
    thus be encrypted and inaccessible without the dm-crypt key.
 2) The dm-crypt key is used to decrypt the block device so that the osd
    data and/or journal can be mounted.

If we store the dm-crypt key on the mon, then there is also a third key:

 3) A second cephx key should be used to access the monitor to obtain the
    dm-crypt key for the local disks.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle #3 is.  A per-host key could be
used here, but it makes it harder to move disks around between hosts,
unless all host key scould access any disk key (which seems unwise).
Alternatively, a #3 key could be stored in a tiny unencrypted partition of
the osd/data disk.  This isn't really my area, but I think this is roughly
how most 'key management systems' would work.  Disks are useless without
access to the mon/keyserver, which provides admins with a safe centralized
place to revoke keys.

Are there any users who are looking for this type of protection?  I don't
want to spend any time putting this together until we have a clearer
picture of what people's real requirements are...

sage