Re: Comments on Ceph distributed parity implementation

A recent paper out of Microsoft had an interesting twist on erasure coding (separately encoding each half and then the entire thing once, rather than the entire unit multiple times).
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/yekhanin/papers/usenixatc_2012.pdf

it doesn't get at the math itself, but is something worth considering.

Best,
-Joe Buck