pg balancing

Hi Jim-

You mentioned the other day your concerns about the uniformity of the PG
and data distribution.  There are several ways to attack it (including
increasing the number of PGs), but one that we haven't tested much yet is
the 'reweight-by-utilization' function in the monitor.

The idea is that there will always be some statistical variance in the
distribution and a non-zero probability of having outlier OSDs with too
many PG.  We adjust for this by taking nodes that are substantially above
the mean down by some adjustment factor in an automated way.

 ceph osd reweight-by-utilization MIN

where MIN is the minimum relative utilization at which we will start
adjusting down.  It is always > 100 (100% of the mean), and defaults to
120.  After it adjusts the reweights, you should see the result in 'ceph
osd tree' output

Have you played with this at all on your cluster?  I'd be very interested
in how well this does/does not improve things for you.

Thanks!
sage