Re: Ceph FS - File Locking Status

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM, Dyweni - Ceph-Devel
<YS3fpFE2ykfB@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All (again),
>
> I'm specific interested in POSIX advisory locks...   as referred to by
> SQLite Version 3 (http://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html, section 6).
>
> I want to store a set of SQLite database files on a shared Ceph FS, in order
> to coordinate the activities of a number of nodes.  I need to make sure that
> multiple nodes won't be stepping on each other and corrupting these database
> files.
>

> ---
> Thanks,
> Dyweni
>

> On 2013-04-25 20:54, Dyweni - Ceph-Devel wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I ran across Bug # 2825 (http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/2825)
>> tonight.  Is file locking still an issue in the latest stable release
>> (0.60 / 0.61) ?

I'd forgotten about this bug. I don't believe we've done any work on
the POSIX locks since then, although that bug doesn't mention the
kernel version in use and I believe you need both sufficiently new
servers and kernels. Sadly I don't have the time to pull down that
code and check out the current results.

The locking code is *fairly* readable though, if anybody would like to
check it out. The interfaces grew to be messier than I'd like but it
is at least well-isolated from the other MDS invariants, if somebody
wants to check it out.
-Greg