Re: test osd on zfs

Sage Weil wrote:

<snip>
> The main things that come to mind:
>
> - zfs checksumming
> - ceph can eventually use zfs snapshots similarly to how it uses btrfs
>   snapshots to create stable checkpoints as journal reference points,
>   allowing parallel (instead of writeahead) journaling
> - can use raidz beneath a single ceph-osd for better reliability (e.g., 2x
>   * raidz instead of 3x replication)
>
> ZFS doesn't have a clone function that we can use to enable efficient
> cephfs/rbd/rados snaps, but maybe this will motivate someone to implement
> one. :)

Since Btrfs has implemented raid5/6 support (meaning raidz is only a feature
gain if you want 3x parity, which is unlikely to be useful for an OSD[1]),
the checksumming may be the only real benefit since it supports sha256 (in
addition to the non-cryptographic fletcher2/fletcher4), whereas btrfs only
has crc32c at this time.

[1] A raidz3 with 4 disks is basically raid1, at which point you may as well
use Ceph-level replication. And a 5-or-more-disk OSD strikes me as a
questionable way to set it up, considering Ceph's strengths.