Re: mon memory leak

On 03/13/2013 01:42 PM, Travis Rhoden wrote:
Hi Stefan,

I have seen a mon grow quite high on Bobtail.  Joao had some theories
as for why, and I was able to provide him with a memory dump of the
running process.  No word yet on whether it revealed anything, but I
know it is on his stack.  Background here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.user/14

  - Travis

Hi all,

As Travis points out, this has been seen before. I've spent a fair amount of time chasing this down now, but haven't got to any useful conclusions yet. Although this is concerning, chasing down this kind of behaviour tends to be a time sink and there are other more pressing issues that have been requiring most of my attention. This hasn't been forgotten and I've been allocating my time to it as possible.

On Sébastien's issue, that may very well be caused by some of the memleaks that have been fixed some time since argonaut, prior to bobtail.

I'm expecting to be able to find the time Real Soon Now to put a doc together with ways, for anyone willing, to provide us further insight on what's happening. The monitor is supposed to be able to dump a heap profile (using gperftools) on-the-fly, but I recall having some issues with that not so long ago, so that's probably one thing to look into asap.

In any case, Stefan, do you by chance still have that monitor going? If so, are you able to tell us what's that monitor rank? 'ceph mon_status' should help you assessing that. Furthermore, assuming you are using a version prior to v0.58, any chance you can run a 'du -chs /var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-foo', with foo being the mem-hogging monitor's id, and then, if you notice an abnormal disk consumption on one of the directories, dive in to check where said consumption is happening?

  -Joao