Re: Release Cadence

On 03/12/2013 09:12 PM, Patrick McGarry wrote:
Hey all,

Just wanted to link to a few words on the new Ceph release cadence.

http://ceph.com/community/ceph-settles-in-to-aggressive-release-cadence/

Feel free to hit us with any questions.  Thanks.

One note in the LTS releases. While LTS releases would be great, I agree that at this point in time Ceph isn't ready for it.

Point being that the API changes and such are becoming less frequent, but think about the burden of having to facilitate an upgrade path from code which was written one year ago to the current point in time.

Think about the new monitor proposal and such.

Just to conclude, I think it's wise for now to not call anything "LTS" yet. I however fully agree that in the longer run it would be desirable for production deployments.

Best Regards,

--
Patrick McGarry
Director, Community