Re: [ceph-users] Question about Backward compatible of different release

Hi Sally-

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, sally_wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm a new user.  I found that CephFS can't be distributed between different
> release versions.  It will be a potential problem in a producation
> environment when Ceph upgrades.  Is there any workaround to keep CephFS
> working during the upgrading?

Every Ceph release for the last year or so has allowed you do to a
'rolling' upgrade in which one component/daemon at a time is upgraded to a
newer version while the system remains online.  There are some
restrictions with respect to the order things are upgraded, but those get
documented in the release notes.

If you're talking abot CephFS specifically, things are a bit less
clear-cut, if only because the file system component is not yet considered
production ready.  Even so, the same rules will generally apply with
respect to upgrades.

Cheers-
sage