From: Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx>
To: Daniel Hoang <daniel_m_hoang@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:18 PM
Subject: Re: Questions on some minor issues when upgrading from 0.48 to 0.56

Hi,

On 02/13/2013 08:26 PM, Daniel Hoang wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just in case these issues have not been reported yet, I am on ubuntu 12.04, upgrade librados2/librados-dev from 0.48 to 0.56, and I notice the following issues:
>
> 1. librados2 / librados-dev still reports minor version as 48
>
> Should minor version changed to 56?

No. From what I understand the librados version is only bumped when the
API actually changes.

This indicates that the API is still the same as 0.48

> 2. In 0.48, rados_pool_list(cluster, NULL, 0) can be used like a buffer size query, and it would return the buffer size required for the pool list buffer string. In 0.56, this call now returns error -22 instead, and I have to pass in a tmp_buf[32] and len = 32 in order for the call to return successfully. I check the current rados_pool_list API, and it does not mention anything about buffer and len should not be NULL, 0.
>
> May be this was a bug in 0.48, that we should not pass in NULL, 0 ?

Take a look at this commit:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/commit/a677f47926b9640c53fbd00c94d6eb7a590a94fc

I ran into this with phprados as well:
https://github.com/ceph/phprados/commit/ee8b87fe93f87f92a7c3fa197a33b3d2de2fc4b6