cgroups to prevent OSD from taking down a whole machine

Hi,

Has anybody tried this yet?

Running into the memory leaks during scrubbing[0] I started thinking about a way to limit OSDs to a specific amount of memory.

A machine has 32GB of memory, 4 OSDs, so you might want to limit each OSD to 8GB so it can't take the whole machine down and would only kill itself.

I think I'll give it a try on a couple of machines, but I just wanted to see if anybody has tried this already or sees any downsides to this?

We use cgroups in the CloudStack project (through libvirt) to prevent that a memory leak in one KVM proces can take down a whole hypervisor, it works pretty well there.

Suggestions or comments?

Wido

[0]: http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/3883