RE: Increase number of pg in running system

But can we change the pg_num of a pool when the pool contains data? If yes, how to do this?

-----Original Message-----
From: ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ceph-devel-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sage Weil
Sent: 2013年2月6日 9:50
To: Mandell Degerness
Cc: ceph-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Increase number of pg in running system

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Mandell Degerness wrote:
> I would like very much to specify pg_num and pgp_num for the default
> pools, but they are defaulting to 64 (no OSDs are defined in the
> config file).  I have tried using the options indicated by Artem, but
> they didn't seem to have any effect on the data and rbd pools which
> are created by default.  Is there something I am missing?

Ah, I see.  Specifying this is awkward.  In [mon] or [global],

 osd pg bits = N
 osd pgp bits = N

where N is the the number of bits to shift 1 to the left.  So for 1024 PGs, you'd do 10.  (What it's actually doing is MIN(1, num_osds) << N.
The default N is 6, so you're probaby seeing 64 PGs per pool by default.)

sage