Re: some performance issue

Writes are intrinsically more expensive (in both the file
system and hardware) but it is not uncommon for individual
small random writes to substantially outperform reads even
if O_DIRECT.

If the I/O is not massively parallel, reads are going to be
processed one at a time (e.g. ~6ms seek, ~4ms latency, and
27us transfer).  Writes, however, are commonly accepted by
the drive and then queued, enabling the drive to choose among
the competing requests to significantly (e.g. 2-3x) reduce
both average seek time and rotational latency.

If the I/O is being buffered, the performance advantages for
random writes can be even greater (due to a deeper request
queue and potential request aggregation).  Isolated random
reads (with few cache hits) get a much smaller performance
boost (if any) from buffered I/O.

With massively parallel requests, however, the write
advantage should evaporate.