Re: ceph from poc to production

Hi Stephan,

> - Increase the osdmax value

Well actually this doesn't seem to be necessary because when you issue
a "ceph osd create" the osdmax value is automatically incremented. It
just that a while ago I saw on the ML or IRC that it was a good
practice to do this. And this documentation
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/control/ says:

"Set the max_osd parameter in the osd map. This is necessary when
expanding the storage cluster."

Maybe the doc is outdated on this option, I don't know.

> - Set “filestore flusher” option to false, in your [osd] section

During my benchmarks sessions I noticed that disabling this option
brought way better performance, at least for old hardware. Fo recent
hardware I haven't seen any difference, but I kept the habit to
disable it. There are some discussions about this option on the ML. As
far as I can remember, it's harmless to disable it.
>From the doc here
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/filestore-config-ref/:

"The filestore flusher forces data from large writes to be written out
using sync file range before the sync in order to (hopefully) reduce
the cost of the eventual sync. In practice, disabling ‘filestore
flusher’ seems to improve performance in some cases."

Cheers,

--
Regards,
Sébastien Han.