Re: Usage of CEPH FS versa HDFS for Hadoop: TeraSort benchmark performance comparison issue

Hi Jutta,

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Lachfeld, Jutta
<jutta.lachfeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the current content of the web page http://ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/hadoop shows a configuration parameter ceph.object.size.
> Is it the CEPH equivalent  to the "HDFS block size" parameter which I have been looking for?

Yes. By specifying ceph.object.size, the Hadoop will use a default
Ceph file layout with stripe unit = object size, and stripe count = 1.
This is effectively the same meaning as dfs.block.size for HDFS.

> Does the parameter ceph.object.size apply to version 0.56.1?

The Ceph/Hadoop file system plugin is being developed here:

  git://github.com/ceph/hadoop-common cephfs/branch-1.0

There is an old version of the Hadoop plugin in the Ceph tree which
will be removed shortly. Regarding the versions, development is taking
place in cephfs/branch-1.0 and in ceph.git master. We don't yet have a
system in place for dealing with compatibility across versions because
the code is in heavy development.

If you are running 0.56.1 then a recent version of cephfs/branch-1.0
should work with that, but may not long, as development continues.

> I would be interested in setting this parameter to values higher than 64MB, e.g. 256MB or 512MB similar to the values I have used for HDFS for increasing the performance of the TeraSort benchmark. Would these values be allowed and would they at all make sense for the mechanisms used in CEPH?

I can't think of any reason why a large size would cause concern, but
maybe someone else can chime in?

- Noah