Re: Any idea about doing deduplication in ceph?

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM, lollipop <lollipop_jin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nowadays, I am wondering doing offline deduplication in ceph?
> My idea is:
> First in the ceph-client, I try to get the locations of chunks in one file.
> The information includes
> how many chunks the file has and which osd the chunk(object group) has been
> stored.
> Then the ceph-client try to communicate with the exact osd to ask the osd to
> return the chunk hash.
> After that, we compare the returned hash with the already stored hash table,
> If the chunk is duplicated, we try to change the file meta-data.
> Can it work?
> Can you give some ideas? Thank you

Any off-line deduplication support in Ceph is going to have the
important parts be in the OSD code, not in the clients. :) We've
discussed dedup a little bit internally and on the mailing list; you
can do an archive search if you're interested in what the current
thoughts are. :)
-Greg