ceph for small cluster?

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering how ceph would work in a small cluster that supports a mix of engineering and modest production (email, lists, web server for several small communities).

Specifically, we have a rack with 4 medium-horsepower servers, each with 4 disk drives, running Xen (debian dom0 and domUs) - all linked together w/ 4 gigE ethernets.

Currently, 2 of the servers are running a high-availability configuration, using DRBD to mirror specific volumes, and pacemaker for failover.

For a while, I've been looking for a way to replace DRBD with something that would mirror across more than 2 servers - so that we could migrate VMs arbitrarily - and that will work without splitting up compute vs. storage nodes (for the short term, at least, we're stuck with rack space and server limitations).

The thing that looks closest to filling the bill is Sheepdog (at least architecturally) - but it only provides a KVM interface. GlusterFS, xTreemFS, and Ceph keep coming up as possibles - with ceph's rbd interface looking like the easiest to integrate.

Which leads me to two questions:

- On a theoretical level, does using ceph as a storage pool for this kind of small cluster make any sense (notably, I'd see running an OSD, a MDS, a MON, and client DomUs on each of the 4 nodes, using LVM to pool all the storage and it seems like folks recommend XFS as a production filesystem)

- On a practical level, has anybody tried building this kind of small cluster, and if so, what kind of results have you had?

Comments and suggestions please!

Thank you very much,

Miles Fidelman